Custom software is a software that is specially developed for some specific organization .custom software is developed for a single customer it can be accommodate that customer’s particular preferences and expectations.customized software is developed in an iterative processes,allowing all the variations and possible hidden risks to be taken into account,including issues,which were not mentioned in the original requirement specifications.
In particular, the first phase in the software development process may involve many departments, including marketing, engineering, research and development and general management.
Large companies commonly use custom software for their business, including content management, inventory management, customer management, human resource management, or otherwise to fill the gaps present in the existing software packages.custom software solutions solve the problem of complex business challenges.
The decision to build a custom software rest on following four factors:
- Finances-cost and benefits: The upfront license cost for Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) means cost-benefit analysis of the business case needs to be done. However it is widely known that large custom software projects cannot fix all three of scope i-e time,cost and quality constant.
- Supplier – In case of Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS), is the supplier likely to remain in business long, and will there be adequate support and customization available? Alternatively, will there be a realistic possibility of getting support and customization from third parties? In the case of custom software, the software development may be outsourced or done in-house. If it is outsourced, the question is: is the supplier reputable, and do they have a good track record?
- Time to market: Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) products usually have a quicker time to market.
- Size of implementation: Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) comes with standardization of business processes and reporting. For a global or national organisation, these can bring in gains in cost savings, efficiency and productivity, if the branch offices are all willing and able to use the same COTS without heavy customization’s.
List of major field uses custom software:
- Education(School and college)
Various companies and industries prefer custom software created specifically to meet their needs. There are five main criteria involved in selecting the correct solution:
- Development cost and time
- other stuff costs
- System efficiency
- Services improvement
Advantages and Disadvantages of using custom software.
Custom software will generally produce the most efficient system as it is can provide support for the specific needs of the business, which might not be available in an off-the-shelf solution and will provide greater efficiency or better customer service.
The main disadvantages of custom software are development time and cost. With a spreadsheet or an off-the-shelf software package, a user can get benefits quickly. With custom software, a business needs to go through a Software development process that may take weeks, months, or with bigger projects, years. Bugs accidentally introduced by software developers also.
Post by: Team Shivit
For more details:-
email : email@example.com